Workshop is now full. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the wait list.
“Kill your Darlings”: An Editor’s Advice to Writers
The PEI Writers’ Guild and UPEI Department of English are pleased to present a workshop with Nimbus Publishing’s Senior Editor, Whitney Moran.
The workshop is aimed at both aspiring and established writers. Whitney will cover the following:
- approaching editors: dos and don’ts of pitching to a publisher
- the editorial process in a publishing house;
- substantive vs. copyedit;
- the most common editorial mishaps authors make and how to avoid them;
- what authors should look for in hiring a freelance editor;
- the relationship between editor and author; and
- self-editing practices.
The day-long session will also include a panel discussion with Whitney and two award-winning Island authors she has worked with through Nimbus – Deirdre Kessler (The Charlottetown Conference) and Dave Atkinson (Wereduck).
Whitney Moran is the Senior Editor with Nimbus Publishing and Vagrant Press in Halifax. She has also been edited while writing freelance for the Chronicle-Herald, The Coast, Atlantic Books Today, Halifax Magazine, and Occasions. www.nimbus.ca
Date: Saturday, February 13, 2016
Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Location: Main Building, UPEI
Cost: $85 or $75 for PEI Writers’ Guild members and UPEI students.
Coffee, tea and light snacks will be provided. Bring along your own lunch.