PSST! The prompts for Battle Tales V: Battle Harder! have been released. You can find them here!
To the bards of our tiny, industrious island,
The holidays are over and now only the gloom of an eternal winter lies before us. The gloaming is all about, the unkind cold envelops us…but wait. There…in the distance…a dim light, growing brighter, a spark, a flame. The creativity and imagination of countless writers are kicking at the darkness (thanks Bruce) and leading us to a brighter day.
We here at the PEI Writers’ Guild are always sad to see the holidays end. It makes us itchy. Really itchy. We itch for one thing, and one thing only. We itch to battle.
You know what this means, don’t you? It means it’s time once again for a brand new Battle Tales contest! And just what is Battle Tales, you ask? Why, it’s a week of literary gladiatorship, heroism, and probably a lot of nail-biting. More than anything, it’s a week in which we lock ourselves indoors and rattle out the finest fiction this island has ever produced.
Here’s how it works:
- We’ll issue three writing prompts at 12:01 am, Sunday, January 19th on Facebook, Twitter, and on our website (www.peiwritersguild.com).
- The prompts will detail a few items your short story must be based on—perhaps a floor speckled in dried-out Christmas-tree needles, or a hernia caused by hefting decorations down to the basement. Maybe a brown Christmas tree at the end of a driveway, or perhaps a New Year’s resolution you just couldn’t keep. Whatever the prompts may be, they need to form the basis of your story. (Thanks Keith)
- Then it’s off to the literary races. Your wonderful and exciting stories can be submitted online via this button:
- (Be sure to click the Battle Tales V: Battle Harder category when presented with the submissions menu.)
- Anything received by 11:59 pm on Saturday, January 25th will be accepted. We’re looking for stories under 2500 words, written by residents of Prince Edward Island.
- You don’t need to be a member of the PEI Writers’ Guild to enter, but we sure would love to have you.
At the end of the battle, we will look over the fields, collecting the works of our valiant scribes and will with all haste dispatch them to our fair, impartial and spiky haired judge, the fabulous Patti Larsen. While feasting on grapes and olives and being fanned by palm leaves plucked from trees from only the most exotic locations, our judge will determine our victor.
Please refrain from putting your name on the story you submit. Enter it only during the submission process, along with any relevant contact information in case we need to reach you. Everything is kept strictly anonymous, 100% incognito, purely hush-hush.
“What’s in it for me?” you’re wondering. The short answer is this: local celebrity and a mighty dollop of personal pride! But wait, there’s more. The winner of the contest will receive our highly-coveted Battle Tales trophy, a year’s free membership with the PEIWG, and will be featured online and in The Squall newsletter. You’ll also get a full year’s bragging rights to all your pals, and you can even use the fact you won as an ice breaker at parties.
The winner will be announced during the PEI Writers’ Guild Winter Writing Social at Upstreet Craft Brewery on Alan Street in Charlottetown. Time and date to be announced soon!
We can’t wait to see what you’ll create.
Contest begins: 12:01 am, Sunday, January 19th
Contest ends: 11:59 pm on Saturday, January 25th
Max length: 2500 words