2017 Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards
For thirty years, the Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards (ILAs) have recognized the best in Island writing with cash awards sponsored from the community for winning entries in short story, poetry, children’s literature, creative non-fiction, and student writing.
The 30th annual Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards gala ceremony will take place in the spring of 2017. Prizes will be given out in six categories, and special awards may also be awarded.
Student Category – Deadline: January 31, 2017 – 9:00pm
Rotary Club of Charlottetown Royalty Creative Writing Awards for Young People
Many past award winners of the Cox & Palmer ILAs are now published authors. The Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards and the P.E.I. Writers’ Guild are vital to fostering a culture of writing on Prince Edward Island.
What are the submission guidelines for the Rotary Club of Charlottetown Royalty Creative Writing Awards for Young People student award categories?
You may write on the topic of your choice and submit up to two pieces of writing in one of four sub-categories:
- Early Elementary (Grades 1-3),
- Late Elementary (Grades 4-6),
- Junior High (Grades 7-9), and
- Senior High (Grades 10-12).
You may submit a maximum of five pages of poetry, or a ten-page short story, which will constitute an entry. Longer submissions will NOT be accepted.
Are there any fees?
There are no fees for the student categories.
How many copies should I submit?
You must submit two (2) copies of each entry. The following prizes will be awarded in each sub-category: First, $100; Second, $75; and Third, $50.
Is there an award for school participation?
The school with the highest number of student submissions will be recognized with a certificate at the awards ceremony and receive a special gift.
What is the deadline for entries?
The submission deadline for student categories is 9 p.m., January 31, 2017. Entries must be postmarked or submitted by hand to any public library branch. Those postmarked or delivered later will not be eligible. There are absolutely NO exceptions.
Where do I send my entries?
Please hand-deliver your entries to any public library branch, addressed to:
Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards
c/o Beth Clinton
Confederation Centre Public Library,
or mail submissions to the following address:
Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards
c/o P.E.I. Writers’ Guild
81 Prince Street Charlottetown, PE C1A 4R3
Participants may submit up to two entries. A writer may only win one prize per category, and each text may be submitted to only one category.
For each different manuscript entered, participants must complete a separate entry form with two copies of the manuscript.
How do I know if I am eligible?
If you have been a resident of P.E.I. for at least six months preceding the submission deadline for your category, you are eligible to enter the contest.
Your writing must be original and unpublished.
If you win a prize in another competition, you may not submit that piece of writing for the Island Literary Awards.
What is the format to submit entries?
EACH of your entries must include the following:
- This Submission Cover Page entry form for students.
- A title page that lists only the title of the entry and, if desired, a note about your entry.
- Your name(s) must appear only on the submission cover page or your submission will be disqualified.
- You must submit TWO copies of each entry. The TWO copies are required so that we may retain one copy in a central location for ILA records and give one to the category judge. Please retain either the original or a copy for yourself. Entries will be disqualified if two copies are not supplied.
What other important rules should I know?
- With one exception, entries shall be typed, in 12-point font, with reasonable margins, double-spaced (except for poetry), and on one side of the page.
- The EXCEPTION is the Creative Writing Awards for Young People category entries for Grades 1-6, which may be written or printed by hand (double-spaced).
- You must number your pages with the title of the work on each page.
- Do not fax or email your entry.
- We do not allow changes or substitutions. We cannot return your entry and we will not write editorial comments on the entry.
- Let the ILA Coordinator know if you change your address or telephone number after you send in your submission.
All submissions are final
We’d love to hear from you. Contact the Cox & Palmer ILA coordinator at peiliteraryawards @ gmail.com with any questions or concerns.