The PEI Writers’ Guild is thrilled to announce the shortlist for the 29th Cox & Palmer Island Literary Awards. The prize winners will be revealed at the gala awards ceremonies on Saturday, May 7th. Starting at 1:30pm at The Guild (111 Queen Street, Charlottetown), the afternoon celebration will present the Rotary Club of Charlottetown Royalty Creative Writing Awards for Young People. The awards will be hosted by award-winning author, Patti Larsen. Short-listed writers for the Young People’s Awards categories are as follows:
- Early Elementary: Alyson Barrett, Rami Kaboush, Finn Galaise
- Late Elementary: Bella Galaise, Seth Dockendorff, Dana Carmicheal, Michaela M. Doucette, Susan Wu, Ashlyn Gamester, Lily Saucier, Lindsay Nelson, Isobel Pamela Beardsley.
- Junior High: Berry Genge, Chloe Dockendorff, Vivian Huang, Breanna Mayne, Fiona Clancey, Isabel Wagner, Payton Alexander, Grace Lloyd, Enrique Aburto Arreguin, Noelle Pettipas.
- Senior High: Lilly Hickox, Caitlin Atkinson, Lauren Constable, Rose Henbest, Tarini Fernando, Joseph Simmonds, D. Sebastien Anchikoski.
Karen Mair from CBC’s Mainstreet will host the evening awards gala at 7:00 pm at The Mack (128 Great George Street, Charlottetown). The awards will be presented alongside the PEI Book Awards at the penultimate event of Reading Town PEI, which takes place April 30-May 8. The ceremony will feature performances by cast members of the Charlottetown Festival. Short-listed writers for adult categories are as follows:
- L.M. Montgomery* PEI Writing for Children Award: Shani Gillespie, Amanda Morrison, Margo Connors, Jason Rogerson.
- Milton Acorn Poetry Award: Tanya Nicolle MacCallum, Charity Becker, Rick Sparkes.
- Maritime Electric Short Story Award: Suzanne Mills, Tanya Nicole MacCallum, Dave Stewart, Ann Winslow.
- The Guild Creative Non-Fiction Award: Sophia Ball, Helena Sullivan, Suzanne Mills, Kelly Kieran Sampson, Amanda Morrison.
*L.M. Montgomery is a trademark of the Heirs of L.M. Montgomery Inc.
Judges for this year’s adult Cox & Palmer Island Literary Award categories were Kate Inglis (Nova Scotia), Stephanie Domet (Nova Scotia), William Kowalski (Nova Scotia) and Jamie Forsythe (Nova Scotia). Judges for the Rotary Club of Charlottetown Royalty Young People’s Awards were Lydia Banks, Connor Kelly and Justin Clow.
Cash prizes are generously donated by Island governments, businesses, organizations, and individuals.