CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
13th ANNUAL POSTCARD STORY COMPETITION
The Writers’ Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until February 14, 2012, for the 13th annual POSTCARD STORY COMPETITION. The winning entry will be the best Canadian work of 250 words or fewer in the English language, fiction or nonfiction. Are you up for the challenge? Can you create a dynamic, lean, and efficient piece in only 250 words? You can use humour, poetry, dialogue… anything goes!
$750 for the winning entry. The winning entry will be published in Write, the magazine of The Writers’ Union of Canada. The winner agrees that The Writers’ Union of Canada will have non-exclusive publication rights to publish the winning entry in Write, for publicity purposes. Any publication of the author’s story by The Writers’ Union of Canada will include an authorship credit and a copyright notice in the name of the author. Copyright of the winning postcard story remains with the writer.
Clayton Bailey, John Lent, and Nerys Parry will serve as the jury.
This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and landed immigrants. Original and unpublished in any format (English language) fiction or nonfiction, no more than 250 words.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES
- · Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5 x 11 paper, not stapled.
- · Submissions will be accepted in hardcopy only.
- · Include a separate cover letter with title of story, full name, address, phone number, e-mail address, word count, and number of pages of entry.
- · The author’s name should not appear on the actual entry.
- · Make cheque or money order, $7.50 per submission, payable to The Writers’ Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order.
- · Entries must be postmarked by February 14, 2012 to be eligible.
- · Mail entries to: PCS Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada, 90 Richmond Street East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5C 1P1.